Tuesday 24 July 2012

Movie Confessions Blogathon



I don't usually do these Q and A type things as I like to stick to reviews but as I was browsing some of my favourite blogs I noticed that Eternity of Dream had taken part in this Blogathon created by 2012 Lammie Best Blogathon runner-up My Film Views, a blog I wasn't familiar with but is also very good and worth checking out. So here are my confessions...

Which classic movie don’t you like/can’t enjoy and why?
I'll probably get a few negative comments for this but I don't like Blade Runner. I thought it was really boring. I wanted to like it because I'd always heard how great it was and I like Ridley Scott and Sci-Fi. One day I'll go back and reassess it. I'm also not that keen on The Godfather but love The Godfather Part II.

Which ten classic movies haven’t you seen yet?
Going off the IMDb Top 250 in order I haven't seen...
Casablanca
Sunset Boulevard
North by North West
Citizen Cane
M
Ameile
Chinatown
Some Like it Hot
The Lion King
Rashomon

I admit there are some pretty big omissions in there and trust me I'm trying to rectify it. I only saw Psycho for the first time this week.


Have you ever sneaked into another movie at the cinema?
No, never done this. I've had an Unlimited Card for the last few years so have never needed to anyway.

Which actor/actress do you think is overrated?
I don't know about overrated but there are several actors whose films I will avoid and these include the likes of Kevin James, Jennifer Anniston and these days Eddie Murphy but perhaps that's due to the type of film they appear in.

From which big director have you never seen any movie (and why)?
I was shocked when I read that Eternity of Dream had never seen a Wes Anderson or Werner Herzog film but then I realised I hadn't seen anything by Ingmar Bergman so perhaps I shouldn't be so quick to judge.

Which movie do you love, but is generally hated?
I don't think that William Friedkin's Cruising is much loved but I think it's excellent.

Have you ever been “one of those annoying people” at the cinema?
I honestly don't think I have. Even in my teens I was a good boy.

Did you ever watch a movie, which you knew in advance would be bad, just because of a specific actor/actress was in it? Which one and why?
I watched Hall Pass because I love Stephen Merchant and would like to 'meet' Nicky Whelan but even with her boobs and his humour it was still abysmal.

Did you ever not watch a specific movie because it had subtitles?
No, often I'll do the opposite. I've never had a problem with a subtitled movie. The rest of the world has to watch a lot of films like that so I don't see why as an English speaker we should be any different. It's just lazy and ignorant.

Are there any movies in your collection that you have had for more than five years and never watched?
I've had Fellini's 8 1/2 on DVD for about five years and The Red Shoes on Blu-Ray for about three and haven't watched either yet.

Which are the worst movies in your collection and why do you still own them?
I live with my female lady partner so most of the terrible films are hers. We own the likes of Sex and the City, Splash and Hannah Montana the Movie (which I only just discovered while browsing). I personally own The Jackass Movie and Disturbia which is nothing to be proud of.

Do you have any confessions about your movie watching setup at home?
When we bought out TV we got a free DVD player with 5.1 Surround but as we watch everything through the Playstation we haven't used the Surround Sound in at least four years.

Any other confessions you want to make?
For a time my favourite film was Vanilla Sky...

This Blogathon is free to participate in. Just go to My Film News and follow the instructions. Thanks to that site for hosting it and also check out Eternity of Dream's Speechless Blogathon which is currently running.

14 comments:

  1. I used to not really like Blade Runner, but then I saw it on the big screen and was blown away by it! Worth it for the experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I say, I'll have to see it again one day because I'm sure I'll like it. I might have been on a bad day when I saw it.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Blade Runner, and was shocked to find I'd actually seen all the classic films you haven't! That never happens! (Seriously, watch The Lion King). I watched Hall Pass for Richard Jenkins as well as Stephen Merchant, and you're right it's pretty damn awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My girlfriend is always trying to get me to watch the Lion King too. I'll get around to it someday.

      And yeah, Hall Pass was beyond terrible.

      Delete
  3. Wow, that's awesome that you found out about the blogathon through my blog.

    I'd recommend any film from the second question, except for Rashomon, but it's only because of my personal taste. The others are very good or even great.

    Haha, don't judge me! I have more than 3K films on my watchlist that's why I haven't seen films from those directors.

    I really want to watch Red Shoes.

    Thanks for the Speechless plug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have loads queued to watch too. The problem is that you'll watch 3-5 films a week but there's another 6 each Friday at the multiplex. It leaves little time to watch the classics.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed your responses. When you wrote "I personally own Jackass and Disturbia, which is nothing to be proud of," I cracked up. :-) I don't feel the love for Blade Runner either. I will admit it was interesting, but I just couldn't connect with the story or the characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that my lack of love for Blade Runner isn't attracting the ridicule I expected. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  5. I've only seen Blade Runner once and felt I was missing out on the love for it. It was years ago so I should probably watch again and see if I can get into it a bit more next time round.

    I tend not to tell people they "must" watch a specific film because I find it annoying when people do it to me but you must see The Lion King.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people are telling me I need to watch The Lion King. I will get round to it one day. Maybe I'll wait til I have children and watch it with them.

      Delete
  6. Happy to see you joined this even though you normally don't do this. You really have been part of making it a success. Slowly working my way through each and every entry.

    I can understand the feelings you have for Blade Runner. My expectations for it were extremely high and was slightly disappointed by it. Still like it though :)
    Have not seen the Godfather movies in ages...really need to revisit them to state my proper feelings about them.

    Out of those ten classics I suggest checking out Some Like it Hot, Amelie and The Lion King first as those are most accessible. Sunset Boulevard after that.

    What did you think of Psycho?

    Unlimited cards are great aren't they...wish I'd use mine more :)

    Really wish Eddie Murphy would pick less safe roles, because everything he's in seems to be a family/kids movie

    I hadn't seen any movies by Bergman either until last year :)

    Although it wasn't a stunning movie I had a few laughs watching Hall Pass...

    8 1/2 was unwatched for a long time for me as well, The Red Shoes I had for some months before I watched it.

    No surround sound? You could hook up your playstation to it couldn't you? Adds a lot to your gaming experience as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have taken part, I enjoyed it. I thought Psycho was incredible. My review is up here on my blog. I also got round to watching The Red Shoes but wasn't that into it.

      Delete
  7. I'll try to respect your standpoint on Blade Runner, even though I love it. :) I've heard some others say it's boring, actually, so you're not the first for me. Interesting that you enjoying The Godfather Part II but not Part I.

    Casablanca, North by Northwest, Citizen Kane, and The Lion King are essential viewing. All of them except North by Northwest (which barely misses it) appear in my top 100 at some point or another before #60 is reached.

    Surprised by how many people haven't actually sneaked into movies. Thought there would be a lot, truthfully. :)

    Not sure about Kevin James, but I'd agree that Jen Aniston and Eddie Murphy are certainly choosing the wrong projects.

    I was in the same boat with you, but then I saw The Seventh Seal last week. I was pretty disappointed, I must say.

    Haven't seen (or heard of) it. Sorry, it's probably just you hailing its excellence. ;)

    You should be proud of yourself.

    I tried to avoid that one...:/

    Agreed.

    See 8 1/2, it's wonderful.

    Oh, dear...

    Free DVD player when you bought a TV?!

    Haven't seen Vanilla Sky yet.

    Great list!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I'm going to try and get around to 8 1/2 soon as a lot of people are telling me how good it is. As for Godfather 1 vs 2. I still think 1 is good but whenever I watch it I'm bored. It still has some remarkable moments though. The wedding scene bores me to death.

      Delete